Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ecuadorian Hacienda

I made it to Ecuador!  I arrived on Friday night after a very tiring 24 hours of riding on buses from Mancora.  The beach, by the way, was very nice. I stayed with some friends in their shop which was a lot of fun (and free!) and I got to help them out a bit as well.  I relaxed, did some reading, and sold a bunch of crepes to earn my bus ticket to Ecuador. It was a nice town, very small and lots hippy-backpackers kind of doing the same thing--making things to sell and keep traveling! Tons of artisans and people making really beautiful things, and they kind of accepted me into their community since I was selling crepes. It was fun to be a part of for a week, but I really don't think I could do it much longer than that. Anyway, I got a nice tan going but now that I am up in the mountains and colder weather it is going to fade fast, bummer!

So, my arrival at the hacienda ended up being late on Friday night, so I didn't get to meet the bosses until Sunday.  I slept most of the day Saturday and helped with the horses on Sunday morning. Then I spoke with Fernando and Carolina, the owners/bosses of the hacienda and the told me we would talk on Wednesday to figure out exactly what my work would entail while I am here.  They are really nice, and I think I am going to like working for them.

Today is my third day of being sick and I am really tired of it.  I haven't left the couch in front of the TV for way too many hours, I've been on Facebook for hours on end doing nothing and I can't be more than two rooms away from a bathroom. LAME. I hate being incapable of doing anything... I can't even eat a bowl of soup or walk up the hill without being sick. Since being here I haven't even been able to do any trekking or exploring, but I know that once I do I will be taking tons of pictures to show everyone as what I have seen from the windows of my little volunteer house it is really beautiful.

Aside from my adventures in Mancora, since leaving Cusco I took a few days to stop in Lima and visit my good friend Diana and her baby Julieta. It was nice to see them and spend some time with them in the nice warm weather and sunshine of Lima.  I also got to spend time with a fellow past volunteer, Emile, who is traveling with her boyfriend right now as well. They also followed me to Mancora shortly after I left Lima since we were ready for the beach and to be away from the city.  We had a lot of fun both places, mostly on the beach and hanging out at the shop in Mancora.  It was nice to have her almost to myself for a few days, my little sister :)

Anyway, hopefully I will be feeling better tomorrow so that I can start working.  I will get my assignments either way, so I'd better be up to starting soon.  Well, I hope everyone at home is doing well, send me some healing thoughts and prayers, please.  Lots of love to everyone!

Love love love,
Maia



No comments:

Post a Comment