Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

San Pablo del Lago--more horses and kids!


It has been yet again quite a while since I have written anything and a lot has changed since the last time I wrote!  My time at Zuleta was really wonderful. Quite relaxing but a lot of time with the horses and the tourists, lots of translating practice, and a lot of delicious rich food! I really should have taken some pictures of the food I’ll try to remember that if I go back in the next couple of weeks.
      So, I left Zuleta about a week and a half ago to come to San Pablo, which is really only on the other side of the hill but it takes about 2 and a half hours to get here from Zuleta. I decided to come here because I heard about an opportunity to become a working student for a lady named Christina. She runs a program called Horse Guided Empowerment, which provides therapy to children and adults in need.  She has five horses on her property, two of which are rescued, traumatized, and one of which is a filly in training.  She and her have lived here in Ecuador for ten years though they are originally from Germany, and they have three young boys that speak an awesome combination of German and Spanish. They are a very nice family, and I am very pleased to be working with them.
      Anyway, I found out that Christina was looking for an intern while I was at Zuleta. She used to work for Zuleta several years ago until they found their own place and created their own lodge and Christina set up this program.  I knew vaguely that Christina worked with horses, but when I found out that she had a therapy program as well, I asked into it more and Carolina found out for me that they needed a new intern here. I came right away! Ever since I have been working with horses again I realized that I couldn’t give up either my love of horses or my love of children, so I need to find a career that works with both. And here it is! I know that since I have been so positive, at peace with myself and open to new things that this opportunity has been presented to me.  I am very happy here so far, still getting used to a different living situation and being in a “city” several times the size of Zuleta! It’s weird hearing the busses pass by and seeing new people every day on the streets little by little I’ll get used to city life again, haha!
      So far, my tasks include training the horses, assisting with therapy sessions, playing with the kids and horses (together), planning art lessons, organizing therapy evaluations and caring for the horses at Christina’s and at the orphanage. It is rather busy and hectic at the orphanage, there is always someone that needs a diaper changed, or a bath, or just a hand to hold. The kids are age 1 to 19, most between 5 and 12.  They are very sweet kids, not all orphans, but I believe all are HIV positive. I haven’t gotten much information on this yet, as the father (he’s a monk, I guess, it’s a Franciscan Monastery) isn’t particularly open about this stuff. I would like to know exactly how much the children know, and the workers as well because I have noticed a few sanitation issues, and the oldest girl has a boyfriend so I think this is something I will need to step into with a public health frame of mind.
      Okay, well, I will TRY to write more often and definitely put up some pictures soon. I think I will post a few on Facebook right now :)  I hope all is well with everyone, please keep in touch, I’m sending lots of love and hugs and kisses!! Xoxoxo
Maia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, sis! Can't wait to see pictures :)

    ReplyDelete