Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Aldea Yanapay


My third week in Aldea Yanapay is about to begin, and I can hardly believe I ever left.  It was a fairly easy transition back into the routine of going to the schools, working with the children, and helping the project.  The added work of being the volunteer coordinator has been a little more difficult to juggle, but I am getting the hang of it, and I actually really enjoy this part of the project.  I get to know all the volunteers really well, they look up to me for advise and problem solving, and I am able to have a little more control over the educational side of the project.  I recently realized that I had not been utilizing the knowledge I have of teaching to the best of my abilities, and since then have been able to deal with some of the behavioral problems with a lot more ease.  I am trying to pass on my teaching techniques to the others as well, and I think it is going to make a big difference.

I have already bet some extremely wonderful people this time around.  Ana, from Spain, is an excellent team member she is in charge of the business and finance side of the project, while I am in charge of the volunteers and the schools, and we share the marketing responsibilities.  It works out really nicely, and already the project is undergoing some major changes.  We are going to have the new internet site up very soon, with a new email system, a new blog (run by me, of course), a new donation system, and all of it will be much more easily accessible and internationally friendly.  Ana has been working in the business field her whole life, and is much more knowledgeable about how to run an organization than either Yuri or I are, so it’s great to have her on the team. She has a great sense of humor as well, and is just a lot of fun to work with.

The cultural center Aldea Yanapay has also recently opened, which is another great improvement.  It is open most of the day, and is particularly for adolescents and adults.  Once the children turn 12 or 13 is more difficult for them to come to the schools in the afternoon because they may have classes, work, or other responsibilities.  There, they can take computer classes, crafting, photography, theater, and other manual labor classes to develop life-skills.  Mothers and fathers and other family members are also welcome, of course, and there is a psychologist that helps deal with domestic, mental and psychological issues within families and groups.  With this part of the project finally open, it really feels like we are able to reach out to many more people, and we can continue working with the children until they reach adulthood.  It’s hard to send kids out into the world at 12 with the values we’ve instilled in them and expect them to be able to hold onto them in the midst of the crazy opposite culture that they are being thrust into.

On another note, I have become quite a bit more spiritual since my arrival here.  I have been meditating a lot on life, and my purpose within it. Also, I have been surrounded by many people that are “freakies,” as Ana puts it.
f

  In other words, they are very connected with themselves, and with the other side. I had a meditation session with Ana where we sat for an hour and half and explored my subconscious.  I also had a session with a woman (from Minnesota!!) named Barbara who has a spiritual center in Arizona.  I was able to connect more deeply with my inner thoughts and, I believe, able to communicate with my angels.  Not like, I talk and they respond, but more like I just listen to my intuition, listen to my heart, and feel a stronger sensation of being surrounded by goodness and love.  It’s been an interesting few weeks, but I am feeling so happy and ready to tackle whatever comes at me in the future.

My dear friend Abby also recently sent me a lovely email with a blog post about joyfulness.  I have been remembering that the past few days, and trying to find little things to make me happy every day: A chocolate, a few minutes in the sunshine, a delicious coffee, a heartfelt talk with a friend, ten minutes of yoga, a reason to laugh and so many more.  My kids at the school have been one of the biggest reasons for my joy since I have arrived.  It is heartbreaking at the same time, since I know their backgrounds and what they go home to every night, but it is good to know that I can help bring them joy and laughter for a few hours every afternoon.

I will try to update this blog frequently, please write me whenever you can!  I miss you all very much, and hope all is well at home :)
Love love love
Maia

1 comment:

  1. This post brightened my day. Thanks Maia. So glad you are having such a great experience volunteering and following your spirit. I've been working to live in the moment more myself, and being more mindful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete